Top safety tips for new homeowners in Jacksonville
If you purchased your first home or you’re getting closer to the date to close, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and your family. You’re probably considering the ways you might customize your house with decor, paint, and furnishings. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, be sure you examine home security too. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you the way with our safety tips for new homeowners in Jacksonville.
Complete a safety check of your new Jacksonville property
Now that you’re considering safety, discover what your new home has in place. To start, make certain you have functioning fire alarms. Test all of them and switch out batteries if required. Are CO detectors in the house? Do you need a water sensor downstairs? This is also a smart time to update door locks and inspect all window locks. Go through every space and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Jacksonville home
Once you’ve done your preliminary check of safety devices and locking systems, you may think about enhancing your protection. Begin with these security tips for your home in Jacksonville.
- Install a new home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Jacksonville can do is install a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your home even when you’re not there. You may scan up-to-the-second video feeds, engage door locks, and even communicate with people on your front porch directly from your mobile device. You can personalize your defense with worthwhile security features like video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade exterior lights. Outside lights with motion detection are a smart way to deter possible invaders. You might even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. When a motion sensor is tripped, it can tell your video equipment to start recording.
- Keep your property maintained. Are you able to easily see all of your property from the interior? Are there oversized trees and bushes impeeding your view? Remove possible places to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Make friends with people in your area. Talking about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people around you, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll let you know if they discern suspicious activity. You can also connect to your neighborhood’s social media page if one is created.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it appear like you’re inside by activating smart lighting at scheduled times. This is a nice tool when you’re not there.